Homeowners are always looking for ways to save money on their monthly utility bills, and cutting back on water usage is a great way to do it. There are many ways that water is wasted in a home, and by making a few simple changes, you can lower your water bill.
1. Never let the water constantly run when cleaning dishes. Kitchen sinks have two sides for a reason, so you can use one side for washing dishes and the other for rinsing them. If you can't break the habit of leaving the water running, consider upgrading your dishwasher to a new Energy Star model that uses very little water.
2. Chill a water pitcher inside your refrigerator at all times. This will prevent you from running the tap water until it becomes cold enough to drink.
3. Use your microwave to defrost foods instead of letting them sit under running water in the sink.
4. Instead of rinsing dishes under running water, wipe off plates into a waste container designated for a compost pile.
5. Limit showers to 5 minutes, and turn off the water when lathering up with soap or shampoo.
6. Avoid letting the water constantly run when brushing your teeth, washing your hands, or shaving.
7. Check your toilet and faucets for leaks. Toilets can have loose flappers that cause toilets to constantly run, and sinks can have dripping faucets or plumbing connections. Fixing leaks can help save you 10% on your water bill.
8. Swap out your old showerheads with EPA approved WaterSense models. It will help reduce your water usage while still providing great water pressure.
9. Always set your washing machine to the proper load size. A common mistake is to completely fill the machine with water when doing smaller loads.
10. Using cold water to wash your darker clothes will help use less energy by not heating hot water. Cold water also helps keep colors looking vibrant and bright.
11. When your washing machine is past its prime, consider upgrading to a newer model that uses less water during each wash cycle. It can save you up to 7,000 gallons of water each year, which translates to big savings.
If you need help doing anything that has been mentioned, such as fixing leaks or installing new faucets, always know that you can contact a plumber like http://www.orangecoastplumbing.net for assistance.Share